Friday, March 30, 2012

Review: The Catastrophic History of You and Me

Title: The Catastrophic History of You and Me


Author: Jess Rothenberg


Publisher: Penguin


Year: 2012


Challenge: 2012 Debut Author Challenge

Summary from  Goodreads Dying of a broken heart is just the beginning.... Welcome to forever. 

BRIE'S LIFE ENDS AT SIXTEEN: Her boyfriend tells her he doesn't love her, and the news breaks her heart—literally. 

But now that she's D&G (dead and gone), Brie is about to discover that love is way more complicated than she ever imagined. Back in Half Moon Bay, her family has begun to unravel. Her best friend has been keeping a secret about Jacob, the boy she loved and lost—and the truth behind his shattering betrayal. And then there's Patrick, Brie's mysterious new guide and resident Lost Soul . . . who just might hold the key to her forever after. 

With Patrick's help, Brie will have to pass through the five stages of grief before she's ready to move on. But how do you begin again, when your heart is still in pieces?


Thoughts:  I actually resisted picking this up because I was unsure about the contents and thought it was going to be just another sappy love story.  The story took me a little while to get into but when I did I really liked it.  Also there is a huge twist in it which I am sure that other people picked up on well before I did because I am the kind of person who remains blissfully ignorant of these sorts of things. Seriously I have seen "The Sixth Sense" and "The Usual Suspects" and picked up on nothing. It is perfectly possible that others saw the twist coming.

Brie was an interesting character and although she was flawed I really liked reading about her. There is a part of the book where she is really mean and while I don't really approve I definitely understand because I hate to admit this but I do have a vengeful side. Also there were some very touching moments, the scenes between Brie and her dog were especially touching.  

Overall I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. 

No comments:

Post a Comment